What is the name for people who consume content? We have names for people who create the content — usually “creator” or “editor” — but what do we call the people on the other side? The people who view/read the content we create and edit?
- “Visitor”: This is common, but this presumes someone is going to “visit” a website. What if you send them an email? What if they read your content on social media?
- “User”: Do people “use” content? They “use” an app or functionality, but can we use that term to define people who view/read content?
- “Public”: What if they’re not the public? What if it’s an intranet, or an email list?
- “Consumer”: I love this, because people “consume” content. But there’s potential for confusion with the economic term “consumer.”
- “Audience”: This is good, but what’s the singular? Audience is an aggregate term.
What do we call these people? Can we collectively define a term for this group?