For fun, I pimped out one of the new “luxury” Dell XPS machines to see how high I could get it. First I had to set some ground rules:
- No peripherals (tower, mouse, keyboard only), or else it’s too easy. No monitor either — those LCDs get expensive.
- No software beyond the operating system.
- No additional services (warranties, etc.)
- Also, desktops only. Servers would be too easy.
I got one up to $5,118. I had to fiddle a bit with the options, since when you get in that rarified territory, some things don’t work with other things (kind of like putting Paris Hilton and Britney Spears in the same room). Some specs:
- Intel Extreme Dual Core 3.2 GHz processor
- 2GB RAM
- 1 terabyte storage at RAID 1
- Dual 256MB GeForce video cards
Interestingly, I couldn’t have a modem with my TV tuner card. Is this because there’s only one slot for them? Seems odd.
Here’s the screencap of the spec screen. Anyone wanna try and out-pimp me?