Well, I went ahead and upgraded to Movable Type 3.1 with the free version I got from joining the MT Professionals Network (still trying to find a catch…).
Note that if you’re considering a 3.1 upgrade, wait — there are errors in the upgrade scripts that Six Apart is working to fix right now. I had to make one code change and forge ahead while ignoring another error in order to get the upgrade to work. It doesn’t help that I’ve hacked this install up pretty badly.
I haven’t really tested any new functionality yet. It doesn’t seem any faster, which is disappointing, but the new interface is much, much cleaner and the stylesheet has been made more…hackable. Selectors are grouped by template so you can pretty easily find the rule you want to change (TEXTAREA font is pretty large by default…).
One great improvement: the little bold, italic, underline, and link buttons in the editing interface work in non-IE browsers…finally! That alone is worth the upgrade.
So, while this upgrade looks promising, hang loose for a week or so before rushing in. There are some speedbumps to work out yet. I’ll post about the new functionality as I play with it.